Tips on How to Conceive a Baby Boy
When you become a new mum, the world of motherhood can be an intimidating one. Between the physical and emotional changes that come with having a baby, and the never-ending list of tasks to be done as a parent, it can be easy to forget that your own confidence and self-worth need to be nurtured as well.
Building up your confidence as a new mum is important for your emotional health and your relationship with your baby. Here are our top 10 tips to get you started.
2. Believe in yourself and your decisions: You are your baby’s best expert and advocate. Believe in yourself and the choices you make, and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. In other words, parent your newborn from the heart.
3. Take care of your health: Taking care of yourself is essential to your physical and emotional wellbeing as a new mum, and your breastfeeding success may depend on it. See your GP or naturopath to ensure that your post-pregnancy health is optimal. Drink plenty of water, eat a balanced diet, rest when you can, and try to get some daily movement.
4. Celebrate your successes: Even the small successes can make a big difference in your confidence as a new mum. Celebrate them and take pride in the progress you’ve made. Here are some new mumma milestones to be proud of.
5. Talk to your baby: You’re a pretty big deal in your baby’s eyes. In fact, you’re their whole world! Babies are naturally drawn to the sound of their mother’s voice, so chat away with them. Read Baby Communication: Why Talking is the Greatest Baby Present You Can Give.
6. Allow yourself to make mistakes: There is no such thing as a perfect parent. Take it one day at a time – there are going to be some better ones than others, and that’s normal. Forgive yourself for any mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Here’s your pep talk on how to ditch placing high expectations on yourself.
7. Ignore outdated advice: There are sadly still a lot of outdated recommendations for new parents being given that are detrimental to both baby and mother. So, in case any of this advice ever comes your way, be prepared – listen to your instincts. Boost your baby knowledge by only seeking information from up-to-date evidence-based resources (such as Newborn Baby!)
8. Make time for yourself: Take a few moments each day to do something that makes you happy, such as reading a book, taking a walk, or spending time with friends. Here are some simple self-care ideas you can easily do around your baby.
9. Practise positive self-talk: Pay attention to the negative self-talk when it creeps in and find ways to adjust your mindset. Many people find that mantras can help, so for some ideas, see our 20 positive affirmations for new mums.
10. Seek professional help: If you find that your confidence is still struggling, it may be time to seek professional help. Talking to a therapist or counsellor can help you to process your feelings and find ways to build your confidence. See our list of contacts here.
Remember that you can also ask a question day or night, and anonymously if you prefer, to our supportive Facebook community.
Building your confidence as a new mum is an important step in your journey as a parent. Although it can be a challenge, the rewards of having a strong sense of self-worth and self-esteem can be invaluable. With some effort and dedication, you can find the confidence you need to be the best mum you can be.