Being a parent is one of the most fulfilling experiences a person can feel. There is natural instinct that seems to come to a new parent, but there are few things of advice that may help you when you are challenged as your child grows up. The most significant thing that any parent can give to their child is a sense of security by being loved and the most important thing that any parent can keep in mind is that they don’t have to be perfect for a positive parenting.
For parents, it is said that a parent who fulfills his/her responsibilities is blessed. Here are guidelines to positive parenting:
- Parents should bear their child to love and nurture. The child should never feel as unwanted burden or accidental product of the sexual act. They are natural products of sexual activity and, therefore, must be treated with love and care.
- Listen to your child. Express interest in your children and involve yourself in their lives. Make sure that you’ll create an environment in which they can easily approach you whenever they want to say something.
- Patience is a virtue. Accept your child’s moods but not always his behaviour and it is also fine to have a sad or angry emotion of yourself and express it appropriately. Always remember that a parent’s genuineness prepares her child for life.
- Be consistent. If your rules change from day to day in an unpredictable manner, it could result to your child’s misbehaviour. The more your authority is based on wisdom and not on power, the less your child will challenge it.
- Be a role model. Children are like sponges because children view their parents as their first role model. Take time to reflect on what you’re saying or doing when you are around them and think about what kind of example you are showing.
- Respect your child. The best way to get a respectful treatment from your child is to treat him respectfully. Speak to your child in a nice way, respect his opinion, treat him kindly and give your child the same courtesies you would give to other people.
- Take care of yourself and your marriage. Spend time to make arrangements to have some happy time to focus on your own needs such as going on a spa, shopping and etc. Have a date with your partner and you can forget the kids for a while. By this, you will be happy with your marriage and would make you a better parent to your children.
Most parents overlook the fact that their children undergo the most formative part in the first six years of their life. During this phase approximately 80% of their mental development takes place.
Positive parenting is good advice for parents because it helps children succeed in their lives. It promotes the development of intellectual curiosity, motivation to learn and desire to achieve. It prevents children from undesirable behaviours such as anti-social behaviour, juvenile delinquency, and drug and alcohol use.
Positive parenting also helps protect children against development of anxiety, depression, psychological as well as other psychiatric disorders. In addition, spend a lot of time with them and love them with all your heart, but don’t overwhelm them. There is a big difference between showing care and imprisoning them.