Tinned tuna can become one of Mum’s best friends, so try to get your baby used to it from early on.
Age: From approx. 8 months of age
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
Prep time: 3 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
1/2 cup dried soup pasta or other small pasta shape
1 tbs olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced (100g)
1/2 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp commercially available minced garlic)
95g tin of tuna in springwater (this is milder than tuna in brine or oil)
1 tbs tomato paste
100ml full fat cream
Parsley leaves, washed and chopped
Grated parmesan or tasty cheese, to serve
1. For the pasta – bring water to a boil in a small saucepan and cook pasta according to packet directions, omit salt. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a fry pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté till soft (approx 5 mins) stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook stirring for a further minute.
3. Add drained tuna and use a fork to break up. Add tomato paste and stir well to combine. Cook a further few minutes. Add cream, stir and heat through – do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
4. When sauce is ready, stir through cooked pasta and puree to desired consistency. When serving, don’t forget to add a sprinkling of cheese.
5. Divide remaining quantity into portions and freeze.
1.This sauce works equally as well with boiled rice, but I find some babies are fussier with boiled rice than pasta but see how you go.
2. Try adding a vegie base cube to the meal as you are re-heating it. Works brilliantly with broccoli and cauliflower or pea puree.